I have a powerful Savior!
He is more powerful than my problems.
He is more powerful than my weaknesses.
He is more powerful than Satan's power.
I love Him and He loves me!
I trust Him and He trusts me!
We are in a covenant relationship.
Every time I read these words, they invoke feelings of hope that I am not alone in my struggles. They remind me of the scripture in the Book of Mormon - Ether 12:27:
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."
I have read this scripture countless times as I have thought about my many weaknesses. They give me hope for the moment, yet nothing changes. I've come to realize that the key to change is in the last part: "...if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." I haven't really submitted myself to Him and exercised faith in Him.
He is more powerful than all of our problems and all of our weaknesses. My biggest struggle is with food addiction. Yours might be pornography, same sex-attraction, drugs, alcohol,...the list is endless. We all have weaknesses, but there is no weakness that He can't make strong if we truly come unto Him and submit our will to His.
I recently read a book I Knew Their Hearts by Jeff Olsen. It is the true story of Jeff's journey beyond the veil after a tragic car accident that killed his wife and his infant son. While his body was in the emergency room, his spirit went throughout the hospital encountering people as they walked through the halls. One encounter in particular struck my soul:
"Just then, a young, heavy man in scrubs passed by near me. He couldn't have been more than in his mid-twenties. I felt his self-loathing because of his obesity. As he waddled past me and down the hallway, I saw the magnificence of his spirit. He was feeding his loneliness with food, yet he was brilliant."
I know that self-loathing feeling. I have felt it for years. It isn't so much that I loath my outward appearance, although it is part of it, it is that I loath myself for not keeping my word to myself, for setting goals and not following through, for turning to food to ease whatever negative or frustrating feeling I have at the moment. I am great at losing weight, but I'm also great at putting it right back on and making excuses to myself as to why I am eating this or that. I am carrying at least 50 lbs of rationalizations and self-deceptions.
I have started this blog to chronicle my journey to truly submitting to the Lord and being strengthened by His grace and having Him make weak things become strong unto me.
And so We begin.....
No comments:
Post a Comment